The RI DMV takes applications for Farm Plates at the Cranston DMV only.
Application for Farm Plates
(This form is linked to the RI DMV website, so it is as current can be offered.)
Requirements for Farm Plates (as noted on the above application form):
1. Farm tax exempt letter from the Rhode Island Division of Taxation (See link to application below).
2. Bill(s) of Sale.
3. Completed tax exemption form (found at registry).
4. Photos of vehicle: front, side, rear, and interior. *See below
5. Complete Application for Registration and Title Certificate (TR-1) form.
– Vehicles may only be registered in accordance with the entity/entities listed on the farm tax exempt certificate.
6. Requirement checklist approval by the DMV’s Enforcement Office.
Farm Tax Exemption Form Application 2019
You should stop at the enforcement desk on the first floor before going upstairs. They will check to make sure you have all the proper paperwork and stamp it for you. (Otherwise they send you back downstairs to enforcement first thing.)
Relevant RI General Laws:
RIGL 31-1-8 Farm Vehicle defined
RIGL 31-3-31 Registration of Farm Vehicles.
RIGL 44-18-30 (Go to (32) Level I and Level II Farms defined
RIGL 31-3-2 (b) and (c) Vehicles Subject to Registration Describes circumstances where a farm vehicle is exempt from registration requirement.
*Other items we have been made aware you may need:
Picture of the VIN# plate on the driver’s side door or door frame.
A statement that you owe no taxes from your tax town.
Regulations for the Safety Inspection of Farm Vehicles: Includes content on Inspection; Registration; Size, Weight and Load Limits; Slow Moving Vehicle Emblem.
Updated August 2021