As the majority of RIFB renewal dates approach, remember to keep your membership current to maintain your Farm Family Insurance discount!
Farm Family, an American National company, is part of a team that offers a full line of insurance products through one local agent. That way they can help you ensure that your property and liability insurance needs are covered. So, whether it’s auto, home, life, farm or business insurance, you can feel confident you’re getting options to fit your lifestyle and budget.
Your current Rhode Island Farm Bureau membership entitles you to discounts on:
– 5% discount for personal auto
– 3% discount for the SFP, including Country Estate Insurance
– 3% BOP discount up to $100. (Certain classes not eligible for the discount, ask your agent.)
Contact your Farm Family agent to make sure you are getting the best discount.
Not a Farm Family Insurance customer? To find out more about Farm Family Insurance, click the following link to find an agent near you. www.americannational.com
RI Sales Tax Exemption on Seeds and Plants
Late this spring we had several calls regarding the Sales Tax Exemption on Seeds and Plants. We are happy to say that after considerable work trying to get seeds and plants used to grow food and food ingredients exempted from the state sales tax, the following changes were passed in last year’s state budget. State Budget link here. Page 178, lines 11-14.
Here is the much abbreviated, relevant text.
Sales and Use Taxes – Liability and Computation
§ 44-18-30. Gross receipts exempt from sales and use taxes.
There are exempted from the taxes imposed by this chapter the following gross receipts:
(65) Seeds and plants used to grow food and food ingredients. From the sale, storage, use, or other consumption in this state of seeds and plants used to grow food and food ingredients as defined in § 44-18-7.1(l)(i). “Seeds and plants used to grow food and food ingredients” shall not include marijuana seeds or plants.
44-18-7.1(l)(i). “Food and food ingredients” means substances, whether in liquid, concentrated, solid, frozen, dried, or dehydrated form, that are sold for ingestion or chewing by humans and are consumed for their taste or nutritional value and seeds and plants used to grow food and food ingredients. “Food and food ingredients” does not include “alcoholic beverages”, “tobacco”, “candy”, “dietary supplements”, “soft drinks”, or “marijuana seeds or plants.”
THE PURPOSE OF THE RI FARM BUREAU
The Rhode Island Farm Bureau is an independent, non-governmental, voluntary organization of farm and ranch families united for the purpose of analyzing their problems and formulating action to achieve advancement and, thereby, to promote the national well-being.
Farm Bureau is local, county, state, national, and international in its scope and influence and is non-partisan, non-sectarian and non-secret in character. Farm Bureau is the voice of agricultural producers at all levels.
Statement from 1997 Policy Manual of the American Farm Bureau Federation.
Support Rhode Island Farms by joining the Rhode Island Farm Bureau.
Your Membership in RIFB entitles you to …
- A complete line of insurance services through the Farm Family Insurance Companies
Discounts available on Automobile & Special Farm Packages
- Discounts on Case IH, CAT, Grainger and John Deere
- Discount on prescription lenses and frames through Coast to Coast Vision Plan
- Discount at participating Clarion, Quality, Comfort, Sleep, Rodeway, or Econo Lodge hotels
- Discount from major national car rental firms
- Discount on propane gas through Suburban Propane
Click here to learn more about RIFB membership benefits.